What we can help with

If you have a complaint about the private service or treatment received in the UK, but have been unable to resolve this with the dental professional, we may be able to help.

We can look into private complaints that are raised with us within 12 months of the treatment taking place or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about.

We may be able to assist you in seeking:

  • An explanation and/ or apology for what has happened.

  • A full or partial refund of fees in relation to the failed treatment.

  • Remedial treatment from your dental professional, if you are both in agreement.

  • A contribution towards remedial treatment so that the work can be completed by another dental professional at the same practice or at an alternative practice.

Following a review of the the DCS can now, on referral from your plan provider, impartially assist with complaints about private treatment provided as part of a dental plan.

What we can't help with

Before sending us your complaint, you should know that are things we are unable to assist with such as: 
  • Your private complaint if you have been aware of it for over 12 months and have not raised it with us during that time.

  • Any complaints which have not been raised within 12 months of the treatment failing.

We advise you to write to your dental professional detailing your complaint. If you are unable to resolve the matter directly with your dental professional, you may wish to seek independent advice from your local  Citizens Advice Bureau .

Complaints about NHS treatment

NHS Choices has useful information on its website page How do I make a complaint about an NHS Service

You may also wish to contact one of the following:

If you have any difficulties locating the correct number, call us on 020 8253 0800 and we will assist you in finding it.

Complaints in the Republic of Ireland 

Should you have a complaint about private or public treatment in the Republic of Ireland you may wish to visit Complaints In the Republic of Ireland.

Compensation i.e. loss of earnings, pain and suffering, etc.

We advise you to write to your dental professional detailing your complaint. If you are unable to resolve the matter directly with your dental professional, you may wish to seek independent legal advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Complaints about the ability or behaviour of a dental professional

Where there are serious concerns about the ability, health or behaviour of a dental professional, which suggest the professional could harm either patients (colleague or public), or there could be damage to the public confidence in the dental profession please follow this link and you will be guided through on how to raise your concern.



Any clinical matters i.e. whether the correct treatment was carried out or to answer any

you are seeking clinical advice, we suggest that you contact the Oral Health

you think someone who is not a registered dental professional is providing dental treatment (such as tooth whitening)

If you have a complaint about someone who is not on the register, we would advise you to contact the Illegal Practice Team  at the General Dental Council.

Complaints involving practice employees who are not registered with the General Dental Council such as practice managers and receptionists


The following organisations may be able to help: 

  • Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates all primary dental care services in England - both private and NHS and published up-to-date information from assessments. The CQC can take action against any service provider that is not meeting their standards
  • The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) is Northern Ireland's independent health and social care regulator. It can investigate complaints regarding private care/health care from; independent (private) healthcare providers
  • Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW) is the independent inspectorate and regulator of all healthcare in Wales. The role of its investigation team is to undertake focused reviews of healthcare organisations or services in response to concerns arising from a particular incident or incidents, depending upon and/or frequency of occurrence
  • Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS) has responsibility for the regulation of independent healthcare services in Scotland, previously the responsibility of the Care Commission

Obtaining a copy of your dental records

Should you require a copy of your dental records, please write to your dental professional to request this. Should you experience difficulties in obtaining these, we advise you to contact the Information Commissioner's Office for advice.